Do you know or are you a young female Democrat who will be graduating from a Charlotte County public high school in 2022?
If so, application packets for the Democratic Women’s Club (DWC) of Charlotte County’s Betty Gissendanner Memorial Scholarships are now available at your high school. Completed applications are due by March 1, 2022.
The criteria are:
- Female high school student graduating from a Charlotte County public brick and mortar or virtual public high school,
- G.P.A. 3.0 or higher, application to or acceptance by an accredited college or university with admission no later than fall semester, 2022,
- Submission of a written essay described in the application packet by March 1st, and
- Voter registration or pre-registration as a Democrat.
Students can get more information from their guidance counselors:
- Students attending FSW should contact [email protected],
- Charlotte H.S. students should email [email protected],
- Lemon Bay students should email [email protected],
- students at Port Charlotte High School should email [email protected], and
- students in a virtual program should email [email protected].
The Betty Gissendanner Memorial Scholarship is awarded annually. Recipients are chosen on the characteristics that illustrate the values that were so important to Betty as a Charlotte County Democrat: Civic Engagement, Equal Opportunity, Women’s Rights and Scholarship.
Betty Gissendanner grew up in very Jim Crow Alabama. Betty was one of 22 black students that integrated her high school. She was the first member of her family to attend college. She became a nurse and received a Master’s Degree in nursing. When she moved to Charlotte County, she ran a very successful small business, served as an Officer with the DWC and the DEC. She ran for State Rep (unsuccessfully) and was constantly encouraging others the run for office, offering advice and financial support. She was an active member of Ruth’s List, the Florida branch of Emily’s List. She serves as an inspiration to all young women.
To donate to the Scholarship Fund make checks payable to DWC Scholarship Fund and deliver or mail to: DWC Treasurer, DWC of Charlotte County, 3596 Tamiami Trail, Suite 202, Port Charlotte, FL 33952.