Elect Val Demings as our US Senator on November 8th to ensure public safety.
Marco Rubio has benefited from over $3 million in campaign spending from the gun industry. And in the wake of tragic mass shootings, Rubio consistently caves to his donors instead of voting for popular commonsense measures to keep Floridians safe from gun violence. While polls show gun violence is a top concern and recent legislation to tackle the issue is broadly popular among Floridians, Rubio is once again putting his donors’ agenda ahead of what’s best for Florida.
“Time after time, Marco Rubio offers thoughts and prayers in the wake of a tragic mass shooting and then caves to the extreme positions of his gun lobby donors, opposing legislation that will help save lives. Floridians deserve strong leaders who will fight to keep their communities safe, but Marco Rubio never has the courage to do what’s best for Florida,” said Florida Democratic Party spokesperson Grant Fox.
Rubio has spent years putting his gun industry donors ahead of what’s best for Floridians:
- After the Sandy Hook shooting, Marco Rubio joined a group of Republicans threatening to filibuster gun safety legislation.
- After a mass shooting in San Bernardino, Rubio voted against expanding background checks.
- Following the Pulse Nightclub shooting, Rubio again opposed expanding background checks.
- In the aftermath of Parkland, Rubio told Florida families he supported strengthening background checks, banning bump stocks, and raising the age limit on rifle purchases, but then went back on his word and attacked these measures.
- In the wake of the mass shooting in Uvalde this year, Rubio voted against the bipartisan Safer Communities Act, legislation that will help strengthen school safety, protect victims of domestic abuse from gun violence, and keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people.