That’s why 42 of the nation’s wealthiest families and individuals have invested in his campaign
Miami– As Ron DeSantis continues to focus on his own national political ambitions while leaving behind Floridians struggling to pay rent or afford property insurance premiums, new reports are making clear he’s been spending his time courting the approval of billionaires across the country, with the Sarasota Herald-Tribune’s reporting:
“A USA TODAY Network – Florida analysis found dozens of billionaires and billionaire family members with a net worth of $275 billion have donated to Gov. Ron DeSantis’ reelection effort, a level of billionaire support one expert called ‘extraordinary.’”
Axios added: “That kind of support from the richest of the rich raises all sorts of questions about the influence of wealth on public policy.”
“Maybe billionaires benefit from Ron DeSantis’ failed policies, but the reality is he’s leaving behind Floridians who are struggling to pay rent and rising health care bills,” said FDP Spokesperson Kobie Christian. “This report is just more proof DeSantis is focused on his own national ambitions and doing whatever it takes to get the backing of billionaires instead of looking out for Florida families.”
See below for coverage of DeSantis’ Big Billionaire Donor List:
Sarasota Herald-Tribune: By the numbers: Fast facts about Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis’ billionaire donors
- Total billionaire donors: At least 42
- Total contributions from billionaires: At least $12.5 million
- State with most DeSantis billionaire contributions: Florida at 12, followed by New York with six, and Texas with five
- Billionaire donor with highest net worth: Julia Koch and family at $62.2 billion
- Billionaire donor who gave the most: Ken Griffin at $5 million
- Number of billionaires who have given DeSantis at least six figures: 25
- Number of states with billionaire DeSantis donors: 15
Sarasota Herald-Tribune: Ron DeSantis has at least 42 billionaire donors. Here are some of the most notable.
- Florida analysis found dozens of billionaires and billionaire family members with a net worth of $275 billion have donated to Gov. Ron DeSantis’ reelection effort, a level of billionaire support one expert called “extraordinary.”
- Ken Griffin: He is the governor’s top individual donor and also one of the wealthiest, with a net worth of $26 billion according to Forbes. Griffin contributed $5 million to DeSantis’ reelection bid. He is the founder and CEO of Citadel, a Chicago hedge fund, and is highly active in conservative politics.
- Julia Koch: She is the widow of the late David Koch, who was famous for supporting conservative causes, and is the wealthiest DeSantis donor. According to Forbes, Koch and her family are worth $62.2 billion.
- Julie Jenkins Fancelli: Fancelli is one of seven children of Publix founder George Jenkins. Fancelli, who has homes in Italy, Lakeland and Longboat Key, was a major donor to the rally organized on Jan. 6, 2021 to pressure Congress not to certify the 2020 election.
- Edward DeBartolo Jr.: He founded Tampa-based real estate company DeBartolo Holdings. DeBartolo pled guilty to being asked for a bribe by the former governor of Louisiana over a riverboat gambling license. He served probation and paid a $1 million fine. He was pardoned by Trump.
- DeVos family: Four members of the DeVos family donated to DeSantis, including former President Donald Trump’s Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. They are related to Amway co-founder Richard DeVos, who was worth an estimated $5.4 billion in 2018 when he died. The family owns the Orlando Magic.
Image Credits: Photo illustration by Slate. Photos by Paul Hennessy/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images and Getty Images Plus.