Voting Matters

“The vote is precious. It is almost sacred.
It is the most powerful non-violent tool we have in a democracy.”​​

Voter Protection

Learn how your vote is protected.


What are the locations for Early Voting?

Punta Gorda Historical Court House, 2nd floor
226 Taylor Street, Punta Gorda

Mid County Library
2050 Forrest Nelson Blvd., Port Charlotte

San Casa Elections Office
6868 San Casa Drive, Englewood

Voters may vote at any one of the voting locations.

What do I need to bring with me to the polls?

A photo I.D. is required. Examples include: Florida driver’s license; Florida identification card issued by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles; United States passport; Debit or credit card; Military identification; Student identification. For a complete list, click

What if my identification does not contain a signature?

You will be asked to provide another I.D. that has your signature.

How do I volunteer to be a poll worker?

For full information, visit

When is the deadline to change my party affiliation?

Party changes must be made by the end of the 29th day before the primary election. For a general election, a party change can be made at any time. A party change must be made in writing, and it must include either the voter’s date of birth or Florida Registration Number, as well as the voter’s signature. Click here for the Florida Voter Registration Application.

What is a “Universal Primary Contest?”

There are times when all registered voters can vote in a primary election, regardless of which major or minor political party they are registered with or if they are registered without a party affiliation. During these elections, the race is considered to be a Universal Primary Contest. This occurs if all the candidates for an office have the same party affiliation, and the winner of the primary election will not face any opposition in the general election including no qualified write-in candidates. All registered voters can vote for any of the candidates for that office in the primary election.

I am registered as NPA (no party affiliation). Can I vote for County races in the primary?

When races for nonpartisan judicial and school board offices, nonpartisan special districts or local referendum questions are on the primary ballot, then all registered voters are entitled to vote those races on the ballot.

Can someone who is homeless register and vote in Florida?

Yes, in fact, anyone experiencing homelessness can vote in all 50 states. Registrants are encouraged to list a shelter address as their voting address where they could receive mail.  P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable.

I am an ex-offender; can I vote in Florida?

Individuals convicted of a felony are ineligible to vote while incarcerated, on parole, or on probation. A felony conviction in Florida for murder or a sexual offense makes a person ineligible to vote in Florida unless and until the person’s right to vote is restored by the State Clemency BoardFor any other felony conviction in Florida, a person is eligible to register and vote if the person has completed all terms of his or her sentence. Completion of the sentence means: a) Prison or jail time; b) Parole, probation, or other forms of supervision; and c) Payment of the total amount of all fines, fees, costs, and restitution ordered as part of the felony sentence.  A felony conviction in another state makes a person ineligible to vote in Florida only if the conviction would make the person ineligible to vote in the state where the person was convicted. An offense on which a person was not adjudicated guilty does not make a person ineligible to vote. A misdemeanor conviction does not make a person ineligible to vote. Click here for more information. Contact the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition at for additional advice and possible financial assistance.

I am a survivor of domestic violence. How do I keep my address private?

Address Confidentiality Programs and Confidential Voter Listings are programs administered by the state that enable survivors of domestic violence and in some instances victims of sexual assault and/or stalking, to vote without fear of being found by their abusers by providing a substitute address for all public records. Confidential Voter Listings only provide confidentiality on election-related public records. The Charlotte County Supervisor of Elections can provide information on ACPs and Confidential Voter Listings.

I am disabled. How can I receive help with voting?

Federal and state law requires Supervisors of Election and polling places to be accessible. You may receive assistance from an employee of the Supervisors of Election office, your spouse, parent or child, and the League of Women Voters and Rock the Vote. However, anyone who is not a Supervisor of Elections employee, voter registration agency employee, or a prospective registrants spouse, parent or child, must register as a “third party voter registration organization” before assisting individuals to register and to vote. Contact the Charlotte County Supervisor of Elections for assistance.

I am in the military or I am an overseas citizen and need an absentee ballot. How do I get it?
I am a Florida snowbird registered for vote by mail (VBM). I may not be back in Florida before the election. Will my ballot be forwarded to me?

The USPS will not forward your ballot from the mailing address on file. If your mailing address is not where you will be located between four to six weeks before the election in which your ballot will be mailed, please call the Supervisor of Elections at 941-833-5400 to update your address.

Where can I find the most current VBM information?
Share This!