In addition to voting in favor of a government shutdown and opposing a bill that would avert a catastrophic recession, Marco Rubio made headlines last week for his self-serving political games immediately blowing up in his face. Florida Politics noted Rubio “reminded us again last week of his penchant for placing his foot squarely in his mouth,” giving him the title of the “biggest loser” of the week.
Florida Politics: Winner and Loser of the Week in Florida politics — Week of 9.26.21
By Joe Henderson (excerpt)
- The biggest loser — Marco Rubio: Florida’s senior U.S. Senator reminded us again last week of his penchant for placing his foot squarely in his mouth. Start with Rubio’s take on President Joe Biden’s $3.5 trillion spending plan to address multiple national needs. “The $3.5 trillion Biden plan isn’t socialism, it’s marxism,” Rubio tweeted. Oh really?
- The New York Times’ Paul Krugman replied, “Ah yes, remember that stirring line in The Communist Manifesto: ‘Workers of the world, unite to spend 1.2% of GDP on popular programs over the next decade!’”
- Biden’s spending plan is neither of those things. He proposes offering more guaranteed public education to fight inequality and subsidized child care and paid leave to help more women in the workforce. It would expand Medicare and put more money into fighting climate change. Also, it addresses the nation’s crippling infrastructure needs.
- Rubio should, and probably does, know all this. But, dang, invoking Karl Marx will scare the bejeebers out of the GOP base, so it’s all good.
- Rubio also mocked an advisory from the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention for using a gender-neutral term in a message about COVID-19 vaccinations.
- Given the way Rubio has often mocked transgender people, the Twitterverse was not kind.
- “How about worry about the growing body count in your state instead of picking apart the wording in the CDC guidelines?” Ouch.
Image Credits: https://www.nrdcactionfund.org/marco-rubio-is-missing-in-action-on-climate-change/