A Commentary from Dan Voglund
Charlotte County Democrats
Nothing is closer to home, nothing is more precious than the well being of our children. I can list all the places of violence, all the statistics, all of the actors but, you and I already know all that, and don’t need to hear it anymore.
What is needed are solutions that can be implemented, both in the short and long-term. What are the solutions, and what can we do right here in Charlotte County, Florida?
- Quit blaming mental health as the sole culprit. Mental health absolutely can’t be discounted, as it has been proven that many of the perpetrators do have mental health issues. It could be argued, however, that the problem is multifaceted, and so then the solution.
- Law enforcement, school boards, teachers, custodians and bus drivers can’t be held as the last line of defense. No, we must all own the problem and thus, the solution.
So what to do?
- Write letters to the media. Don’t let up on advocating for responsible gun control in lieu of the tragic mass shootings.
- Continue to put pressure to act on increased gun control on our elected officials (county, state, Federal). Call, and/or write, as many as you can. This is a powerful tool that works
- At the grassroots level, become proactive and join a county Democratic Club or caucus. This is where legislation begins.
- Write a law! Write a platform plank. There is plenty of talented help here (at the Charlotte County Democratic Party) to assist in the writing. It is easier than you think
- Attend school board meetings, and ask the school board and local law enforcement to publish their School Safety Plan. Such a plan has to be both proactive and reactive. It is simply not enough to have the swat team storm a building after the fact.
- The CDC, Centers for Disease Control, is prohibited by Congress from conducting studies and collection of data related to gun injuries and deaths. One has to ask, why? Call, and/or write to everyone you know, and don’t know, to restore this most important cog of the solution gear. To truly understand the problem, accurate data is necessary.
- Join Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Gabby Gifford is the former congresswoman who was shot while giving a speech in Arizona. Start a Florida state, or a coalition similar to those in other states. Education is key.
Everything begins here! From the grassroots level in Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, Englewood, and all the other small communities/neighborhoods in Charlotte County. If you, and your friends want help, please call the Charlotte County Democratic Party headquarters at 941-764-8440.
We can, and will help! You see, we are all in this together! For the sake of our children, our grandchildren, and the nation at large.